Thursday 16 November 2023

BrisVenture 2023: Day 2: Big Pineapple, Cafe Vie, Birthday Cake

Day two of our adventures happened to coincide with my birthday! I had ordered a ridiculous cake for us all to share (Molly and I shared my birthday celebrations last time she was here, even though her birthday was much earlier in the year, so we made it a four way celebration this time). We had to pick the cake up from a place in northern Brisbane, so it made sense to have a little road trip up to the sunshine coast for lunch.

Helen was also extremely excited to find out that The Big Pineapple was not far away from where we were going, so we headed their first. I haven't been here since I was a kid, and it closed for a while, but now seems to have reopened. The pineapple was not as big as I remembered! We took some photos of the pineapple, and then also did some tourist shopping at the little kiosk there, which randomly happened to have a freezer full of mini vegan ice cream tubs! We did not go to the zoo there, obviously. It looks like, according to the website, they are planning on redeveloping the whole area into an event space as well. But for the moment, it is just a fun little roadside attraction.

The Big Pineapple


After this, we headed to Cafe Vie for lunch. We kept up the fancy latte theme from yesterday. Helen and Sharnette both had the Blue Matcha Latte (not actually matcha at all - butterfly pea powder, coconut blossom, ginger) and I had the Little Cin (cinnamon, cardomom, ginger, cloves, coconut blossom). Both were really nice. And pretty.

Blue Matcha Latte at Cafe Vie


Little Cin Latte at Cafe Vie


For lunch, we got some Japanese Curry Fries to share, which were excellent!

Japanese Curry Fries at Cafe Vie


I had the OG Veggs Benedict Croissant (cheesy tofu scramble, spinach, tomato relish, hollandaise on a croissant with added facon and a rosti. Everything was excellent, except for the rosti. They used to make good rosti, but I guess they changed it and now it is not good. But the rest, so nice.

OG Veggs Benedict Croissant at Cafe Vie


I can't remember exactly who got what, but the others got the Crispy Mushroom Parmy Burger and the Crispy Chick'n Parmy Burger, which also had facon, cheese, tomato relish, and herb aioli.

Mushi Parmi at Cafe Vie


Chicken Parmi at Cafe Vie


Molly also got a croissant with cheese scramble to try.

Croissant with Tofu Scramble at Cafe Vie


Afterwards, we went to a little op shop, and then to a lookout area that had a nice view to the ocean.

View from Buderim


Afterwards it was cake pick up and home. We were pretty full from lunch, so we ordered a lighter dinner from Vietfoods Springwood. I had the Tofu Vermicelli Rice Bowl.

Tofu Bun from VietFoods Springwood


And then it was time for cake! I ordered the cake through Brisbane-based vegan caterer Vegood. I wanted something very ridiculous and pretty and pink, and they delivered with this gorgeous three layer vintage heart pink strawberries and cream cake. IT IS SO PRETTY! I got them to put a cat-themed decoration on top.

Birthday Cake from Vegood


And here is an inside shot! Three layers of pink cake, with buttercream and freshly made strabwrry compote between them, covered in cream buttercream. I am not an icing fan, but apparently cream buttercream is less sweet than traditional buttercream or meringe buttercream. It was a ton of icing, but it was good! The best icing! There was also some leftover compote, so they gave me that in a cute little jar to take home.

Birthday Cake from Vegood


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo


Speaking of birthdays, it was Boo's birthday on Tuesday - exactly one week after mine! She turned seven years old.



4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that pink cake is so gorgeous! What a great find. Looks like another great day of food and fun! - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a work of art. I had to make Molly cut it because I couldn't bring myself to destroy it.

      Delete
  2. Those drinks really are pretty! I can't do caffeine, so I've been playing around with blue "matcha" myself. It changes color if you add lemon juice. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a cold drink where you add lemon juice and it turns purple and it is so fun.

      Delete