Sunday 29 October 2023

Sabbat Catch Up 2023: Mabon, Samhain, Yule, Imbolc

Hello, It's been a while since I've posted about any of the sabbats and the food I have made for them. In part due to not being very consistent with blogging, in part due to not being very aware of the passage of time or having a lot of energy. Anyway, here is a bit of a catch up.

Mabon aka Autumn Equinox (20th March, 2023)

I bought a bunch of stuff for snacking throughout the week, to live my best autumn snacking life. The Fix and Fogg Pumpkin Pie Butter was a gift from a friend who brought it back from New Zealand with me, and it is so incredible! Absolutely delicious. Fantastic on apple slices. I also had some apple cinnamon jam, which was very sweet. Some pumpkin bread, pink lady apples, and some cashew mushroom cheese for fun. I made a lot of different and excellent snacks with these.

Mabon supplies


Vegan Tagine with Butternut Squash from Lazy Cat Kitchen: I also made an actual dinner, sticking with the autumn theme. This tagine with butternut squash was full of flavour, though I of course left out the chili flakes. I served it over some buttered cous cous. I hardly ever eat cous cous, but it is always delightful when I do.
Rating: :)

Vegan Tagine with Butternut Squash


Samhain (30th April - 1st May 2023)

Halloween gets a lot of its pagan roots from Samhain, which is also consider the beginning of the new year in the sabbat cycle. I kept things seasonal and also kept it colour themed with black and orange for fun.

Roasted Red Onion & Butternut Squash Salad from Cook Share Eat Vegan by Aine Carlin: This is a lovely salad, which I served warm. It was meant to be served with black quinoa, but I used black rice instead. It has a bunch of different ingredients to give a lovely flavour, though I left out the figs because I don't like them and it really didn't need it. The salad is a mix of cooked savoy cabbage and the rice, the roasted vegetables, and is topped with a creamy sunflower seed dressing.
Rating: :)

Roasted Red Onion & Butternut Squash Salad


Yule aka Winter Solstice (22nd June 2023)

This was in the lead up to my PhD being due, and I had zero energy for anything. But my mum happened to make a Japanese Curry that night, and what a perfect way to celebrate the longest night of the year. A steaming bowl of Japanese Curry and rice was just right. We use the S&B Mild Japanese Curry paste, which is so good and has zero heat in it.

Japanese Curry made by mum


Imbolc (1st August 2023)

Confession, I totally missed this date. Imbolc is meant to celebrate the midpoint of winter. I had nothing planned because I didn't even realise it was happening. But when I looked back I realised that I did make something kind of appropriate for it. Red is a traditional colour for Imbolc, and I just so happened to make a kidney bean and red wine slow cooker stew! I used a Masterfoods recipe base for it (substituting kidney beans for the dead animals it called for), and it also had mushrooms and carrots in it. Served over some spinach and brown rice, this was very yummy and I would absolutely make it again.

Slow Cooker Kidney Bean Casserole


Slow Cooker Kidney Bean Casserole


We are two days away from Beltane, so let's see if I manage anything for that. Hope everyone is hanging in there, the year seems to be going so quickly.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo


Beautiful Boo doing a tiny blep.



1 comment: