Monday 15 August 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Chloe's Kitchen

Time for the final installment of the current Chloe's Kitchen recipe round-up, see previous posts about this book here.

Southern Skillet Black-Eyed Peas with Quick Buttery Biscuits amd Garlicky Greens: I used tinned black beans in this recipe as they are easily available. This is a lovely sweet BBQ sauce recipe that as well as beans has cauliflower and celery (which I used in place of capsicum), I also used paprika in place of the chili powder. I scaled down this recipe to make half, but accidentally mucked up when making the biscuits by intially not adding enough flour... so I had to mix in more at the end. They still tasted great, but maybe not as flaky as they should have been. The biscuits are slathered in Whipped Maple Butter, which is a combination of butter (Nuttelex) and maple syrup that are whipped to be light and sweet. I took a slight deviation in the garlicky greens recipe by using broccolini instead of a leafy green, there was a real shortage of greens earlier this year.
Rating: Beans with Biscuits :), Whipped Maple Butter :), Garlicky Greens :)

Southern Skillet Beans with Quick Butter Biscuits; Garlicky Greans; Whipped Maple Butter


Peanutty Perfection Noodles: Who doesn't love peanut sauce and noodles! I glutened this recipe up by using linguine rather than rice noodles, and I only used half the amount. The recipe itself has carrots and scallions as the vegetables, but I added broccoli florets, peas, tofu, and spinach! I used a mix of light coconut milk and water in the sauce, and left out the sriracha, and I also added alittle bit of tamarind paste as I found myself out of lime juice.
Rating: :)

Peanutty Perfection Noodles


Penne alla Vodka with the Best Garlic Bread in the World: The only reason I ever buy vodka is to make vodka sauce, and this was a nice one with lots of basil and cashew cream, though the overall flavour fell a bit flat. The garlic bread is easy to make and tastes food, though is not the best in the world. Chloe loves to be dramatic when naming her recipes.
Rating: :)

Penne alla Vodka with the Best Garlic Bread in the World


Spaghetti Bolognese: This uses a blend of walnuts, mushrooms, and beans. Blending it to be crumbly and chunky without being mushy was difficult given the bean component of it, and once it hit the frying pan and I was stirring it around, it tended to clump together anyway, which you can see. It was quite a sweet recipe, Chloe uses maple syrup in her sauce recipe, which I would recommend leaving out because why?
Rating: :|

Spaghetti Bolognese


Wild Mushroom Strogranoff Fettuccine: This uses a mix of fresh (crimini and white, in my case as I couldn't get all creiini) and dried (porcini) mushrooms in a creamy roux-based sauced. I used linguine and cut the amount from 450g to 250g to get my preferred sauce to pasta ratio. I also added peas and served it over spinach.
Rating: :)

Wild Mushroom Stroganoff


Herbed Polenta Cutlets with Marsala Mushroom Ragout: I cannot find a vegan marsala where I live to save my life, so I consulted the internet and used a mix of white wine and brandy for this gloriously mushroomly ragout. It has both crimini and shiitake mushrooms! I was making this one night when I was on my own, so I scaled down the recipe to 1/4 of the polenta but 1/2 of the mushrooms, because I love mushrooms! The polenta is easy to make and filled with herbs, but does need to be made ahead so it has time to set. I poured it into a little remakin to set so it came out as a circle, rather than spreading it onto a pan and cutting a circle shape later.
Rating: :)

Herbed Polenta Cutlets with Marsala Mushroom Ragout


Hot Fudge Sundaes: This includes a recipe for mint chip ice cream, but I don't like mint ice cream so instead I used the vanilla ice cream recipe that is also included in the book. For the ice cream I used Flora Professional Plant Cream instead of coconut milk, which is my new favourite substitute when making vegan ice cream. This had a beautiful vanilla flavour, and was very creamy. The hot fudge sauce is made with yet more Flora cream (instead of coconut milk), chocolate, and sweeteners. As you can see, it did set up pretty quickly when it hit the ice cream, rather than staying hot and fudgy, but it still tasted great!
Rating: Ice Cream :), Sundae :)

Hot Fudge Sundaes


Thsi ends this round of round-ups from Chloe's Kitchen! I still have a lot in the book I have not cooked, so I will come back to it one day. In about ten years after I finish working through and rounding up the rest of my cookbooks alphabetically. LOL.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Possum


A little flash back photo of our beautiful family boy Possum.

4 comments:

  1. I used to love vodka sauce, but I never made my own. Hmm. You have me thinking I should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine Chloe used maple syrup in her pasta sauce to replace the sugar most people use. They say it's to balance the acidity of the tomatoes, but I'm with you. I don't need it in my pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I went MIA for a few months. I am back! Catching up on blog posts and buddy comments! Hope you are well! Your dishes look awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a book I haven't picked up in a while! That sundae looks AMAZING. And those gluttened-up peanut noodles do too. I doooo actually always add maple to my pasta sauce! Just a touch to cut the acidity. ;-)

    ReplyDelete