Sunday 7 August 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Chloe's Vegan Kitchen

More things I made from Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli. See previous posts about this cookbook here.

Tofu Scallopini with Mashed 'Potatoes': I took a few liberties here, the biggest being that the scallopini recipe was meant to be made with seitan, but I used tofu. I always have tofu on hand, and I prefer it. I made a half recipe with six thin slices of tofu. The slices are battered before being fried, and I did find my batter turned out very gluggy. But I enjoyed them once the lovely herby mushroom white wine sauce was added. The mashed potatoes are a mix of potato, parsnip and cauliflower. The recipe calls it 'Guilt Free', but I don't believe in attaching guilt to food, and especially not potatoes. This mash was lovely for what it was, but you could definitely tell it was not all potatoes. But it had a nice sweet earthy flavour.
Rating: Scallopini :), Mash :)

Tofu Scallopini; Mashed 'Potatoes'


Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts: I turned this side into a meal by serving it over a rice and quinoa mix alongside some sliced Field Roast Apple Sage sausage. This is very simple to make, and I love anything with roasted Brussels sprouts. I could do with less hazelnuts in the end, I think just a few chopped to sprinkle on top. I made a half recipe of this, which was enough for two side serves.
Rating: :)

Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts


Sea Salt and Vinegar French Fries: A ridiculously tiny pile of fries, because I had a little potato I felt like using up alongside a burger. The fries are baked, which I like because I am too scared to deep fry. The fries themselves were good, they actually went nice and crunchy! But as soon as you sprinkle them with the malt vinegar, they went soggy. Alas. But they still tasted good, I love vinegar. I think a bigger pile of fries would hold up better.
Rating: :)

Sea Salt and Vinegar French Fries


Chloe's Award-Winning Mango Masala Panini: This requires a few components, including a tamarind-mango chutney, a spiced chickpea masala, and a serve of the roasted cauliflower curry I mentioned in my last round-up from here. It also has some spinach added. It is a lovely combination of flavours! I initially made it as a curry to serve over rice, and used the left overs to make the sandwich.
Rating: :)

Chloe's Award Winning Mango Masala Panini


Spiced Chickpea Masala with Tamarind-Mushroom Chutney


Moo Shu Vegetables with Homemade Chinese Pancakes: Making pancakes seemed tiring for a weeknight, so I initially served this as a stir-fry over rice! It is a lovely mix of tofu. mushrooms, cabbage and carrot with a lovely housin sauce. Heaven! For the leftovers, I scaled down the pancake recipe and just made two pancakes when I had a bit more time and energy. The dough was a bit hard to work with, and they ended up a bit thick and tough (I do not have the right skills yet), but they were nice.
Rating: :)

Mu Shu Vegetables


Homemade Chinese Pancakes


Best-Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese: This is a big claim, when I have had a lot of mac and cheeses over the years. It uses a roux-based sauce with a lot of nutritional yeast, also some tomato paste which made it look so orange! I half the amount of pasta but all of the sauce and cooked it in a 20 x 20 cm baking dish (that is 8 x 8 inches for my non-metric friends). And the result?? It was a perfectly fine mac and cheese. Not the best, but not bad, but I have other recipes I prefer. Be careful about making big claims!
Rating: :)

Best-Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese


Pasta Italiano: This pasta is coated ina white bean sauce, made by blending cannellini beans with some non-dairy milk, oil (though I used less oil and made up the quantitiy with more oat milk), lemon, and herbs. The pasta is mixed with the sauce, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes. Rather than boil the asparagus with the pasta at the end of cooking time, I roasted it for maximum flavour. I also used half the amount of pasta, extra cherry tomatoes, added some more whole white beans, and some spinach for fun.
Rating: :)

Pasta Italiano


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara2


Finishing off my trio of Cloris Create's portraits with Sahara.

4 comments:

  1. At this point I think we're all pretty jaded by "best ever" claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling to pick a favourite here, all these meals are just my type! The tofu scallopini is a style of meal I rarely make but always enjoy when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks and sounds AMAZING! I wish I was your neighbor...I would come over and raid your frig! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete