Monday 13 February 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cook Share Eat Vegan

Time for some more recipes I made from Cook Share Eat Vegan by Aine Carlin. See previous posts from this book here.

Mega Miso Freekeh Bowl: This was a great way to use up some random freekeh I had lurking in my pantry. Freekeh, carrot, parsnip, and kale form the base, which is ten topped with some broccolini and tahini sauce. The Goes-With-Everything Tahini Sauce is a separate recipe in the book, but is super easy to make. The freekeh also has some chopped dates in it, which goes nicely with the salty miso. This makes quite big serves, though is not super filling.
Rating: Bowl: :), Tahini Sauce :)

Mega Miso Freekeh Bowl


Pearl Barley Paella with Paprika-Roasted Tempeh: To make this easier for myself, I soaked the barley for about 6 hours then I added it, plus sauteed onion, celery, and carrot into a rice cooker and hit cook. It also has green beans and peas in it, and I blanched these and just added them in at the end. The paella itself is OK, but needed a bit more seasoning. The tempeh, however, is definitely the star of the show! It is incredibly lovely.
Rating: Overall :), Tempeh :D

Pearl Barley Paella with Paprika-Roasted Tempeh


Puy Lentil Ragu: This has a recipe included to serve it over homemade tagliatelle, but I don't have the equipment or energy for making pasta by hand. I served it over some pre-bought gnocchi. The ragu is a very thick sauce, a lot of the liquid simmered away, but it has a lovely flavour. Lentils, red wine, tomatoes, mushrooms and more. This is wonderful on a cold night.
Rating: :)

Puy Lentil Ragu


Turmeric & Ginger Sweet Potato Soup with Roasted Tamari Tofu Pieces: I made a half recipe of this for one very delicious serving. The soup itself is very thick and has a wonderful flavour. The tofu is meant to be baked in its marinade until the marinade is absorbed, but mine never did. I ended up taking it out of the marinade to finish baking. The whole thing is absolutely delicious! I served it with some roasted broccoli and bread with cashew cheese.
Rating: :D

Turmeric & Ginger Sweet Potato Soup


Get-Up-And-Go Shake: This is meant to be a coffee shake, but I don't do coffee. I just left it out, and I also decreased the amount of dates required from three down to one. In the absence of coffee (which I made up with more oat milk), this is a lovely banana, oat, almond butter and maca smoothie. It was incredibly thick though, and a very small serving. While I do love a thick smoothie, this was a bit too thick and sludgy, so I would increase the amount of oat milk to your preference.
Rating: :)

Get-Up-And-Go Shake


Griddled Cobb-Style Salad with a Creamy Dressing: This salad is LOVELY! Corn cobs and cherry tomatoes are grilled (or in my case pan-fried) until a bit charred. Then served with a salad of cos and cucumber. I replaced the avocado it called for with butter beans, to make it more of a meal, and also left out the spring onions and cress. The salad is served with an easy to make, delicious coconut bacon. And topped with a hummus-based dressing. In the dressing, I used dill instead of chives and white pepper instead of black pepper. Definitely make this.
Rating: :D

Grilled Cob-Style Salad


Sweet Potato Mash with Pesto-Coated Cannellini Beans: This is a nice combination, combining mashed sweet potato and carrot with roasted cherry tomatoes and pesto beans. The beans and cooked with spinach, pesto and water, which ended up quite watery. I'd leave out the water or only add a little at a time.
Rating: :)

Sweet Potato Mash with Pesto-Coated Cannelini Beans


Creamy Curried Chickpeas with Teriyaki Tofu Steaks: I left out all the spicy parts of this curry, leaving me with a nice milkd chickpea curry, and of course I used a blend of light coconut milk and oat milk. The recipe calls for a handful of kale, but I used a whole bunch because it cooks down so much. The tofu didn't get a very thick glaze on it during the grilling, so I ended up heating up the leftover marinade and drizzling it over the top before serving. Served over some rice, this is a filling dinner.
Rating: :)

Creamy Curried Chickpeas with Teriyaki Tofu Steaks


Cripsy Potato Chips: There is a parsley and almond sauce you can make to serve these with, but I just went for the potatoes themselves. They are seasoned with a mix of garlic poweder, pepper, and I used smoked paprika instead of chili. While they didn't really get crispy, they were absolutely delicious!
Rating: :D

Crispy Potato Chips


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kitten


Kitten with milk mouf.



4 comments:

  1. The tempeh does look great! I love the idea of having it with barley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow everything looks so yummy! Is that kitty yours or one at work? Very cute. - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends raises bottle babies for a cat rescue group, so these are some of hers.

      Delete