Friday 10 February 2023

Lammas 2023

We have had a sweltering summer, and the start of February was an extremely humid heatwave. Disgusting. Lammas, while being a harvest festival, is also a celebration of the height of summer, and acknowledgement of cooler times coming. I don't much feel like celebrating the fact that it is so hot, and cooler days are still a long way off in Brisbane, but I still made a nice dinner.

Lammas (1st Feb 2023)

Lammas is meant to be a harvest festival, and grains, corn, and bread are center along with seasonal berries. Not pictured are the berries I have been eating for breakfast. I have been eating a lot of blueberries at this time, as well as raspberries when I can find non-Driscoll ones. Blackberries are also a traditional fruit of this sabbat, but I couldn't find any fresh one's that are not Driscolls. If you want to know why I do not buy Driscolls, there is a global boycott (see more information here.

BBQ Seitan Salad from Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Phillips: Being as hot as it was, I decided to just make a nice BBQ salad. I used Meet chick'n style strips for the seitan, and pan-fried them then glazed them in BBQ sauce. These sit on a delicious base of baby cos, tomato, cucumber, and radishes. I left out the capsicum and green onions, and added some celery. The salad is topped with vegan bacon bits and a Country Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. The dressing is based on vegan sour cream, is super easy to make, and tastes fantastic.
Rating: Salad overall :), Dressing :)

Meet Chick'n Strips


Country Buttermilk Ranch Dressing


BBQ Seitan Salad


Pantry Corn Bread from More Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson: Bringing in the Lammas with corn bread! This has two options, either using a box of cornbread mix or making your own, I went with the latter because I don't even know if there are any vegan cornbread mixes. I halved the recipe and baked it in a 5 x 9 inch pan. The recipe uses tinned creamed corn as most of the liquid, which was fun. Taste wise this was good, though it had a very crumbly texture.
Rating: :)

Pantry Corn Bread


And all served together!

BBQ Seitan Salad with Cornbread


I had assorted thoughts about making a dessert. But it was hot and I was tired, so I did not.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kittens


Please enjoy this photo of some kittens my friend is hand raising.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about Driscoll's. They're a very common berry brand here--probably the most common brand--so I want to know if there is an ongoing concern. I was only able to find information as recent as 2020, though--is there any update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been struggling to find much more up to date as well. But I figure until I know for sure they have addressed issues, I will continue to avoid them. Incredibly frustrating as they are the most common berry brand here as well!

      Delete
  2. Yum, this looks like a great meal! And satisfying enough without dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely way, and making cornbread scratched the baking itch.

      Delete