Tuesday 31 January 2023

Eating Out: Izakaya Midori and Nonna's Nightmare (Birthday edition)

It was my birthday in November! And I had the day off work, so I spent it eating food. What else does one do on their birthday?

My friend and I headed down for an early lunch at perpetual favourite, Izakaya Midori (see previous posts here). We started with old favourites, the Agadashi Tofu and Smoked Edamame.

Agedashi Tofu at Izakaya Midori


Smoked Edamame at Izakaya Midori


As well as trying some new things, most importantly the okonomiyaki, which was lovely! And I love that it comes as an entree (that's starter, for my US friends) rather than a main so you can enjoy it along with many other things! We also had the Katsu handroll, which has wasabi inside as well. I love wasabi! Also, just look at the okonomiyaki, almost too pretty to eat!

Okonomiyaki at Izakaya Midori


Katsu Sushi at Izakaya Midori


For my main I had the Teriyaki Tofu Don, which was a lovely bowl of rice, salad with dressing, tempura silken tofu, teriyaki sauce, and mayo. I realised I didn't take a photo of my friend's main, but it was the terichiki don, which you can see in previous posts.

Teriyaki Tofu Don at Izakaya Midori


And we finished off by sharing their wonderful Hojicha and Black Sesame Affogato with Red Beans and Crystal Mochi. So good!

Hojicha and Black Sesame Affogato with Crystal Mochi at Izakaya Midori


Come dinner time and I was planning on ordering delivery from a vegan pizza place, but they were closed! But never fear, instead we ordered in from vegan Italian restaurant Nonna's Nightmare (previous posts here, which also has pizzas! We ordered the Amatrice (Tomato, mozzarella, red wine braised onions, vBacon, pecorino, black pepper, basil) and the Potato (Mozzarella, ‘pork & fennel’ sausage, roasted potato and capsicum, rosemary oil). Unfortunately on the ordering site, you couldn't modify anything, which meant I couldn't get the capsicum taken off, so I had to pick it off when it came. Still, worth it for potato and sausage pizza! There were both lovely pizzas. I gave them a brief reheat in the oven once they arrived.

Amatrice Pizza from Nonna's Nightmare


Potato Pizza from Nonna's Nightmare


I also ordered a serve of their Cannelloni (Cannelloni pasta filled with ricotta and spinach, cooked in a rich tomato sugo sauce and mozzarella), which was INCREDIBLE! Star of the show.

Cannelloni from Nonna's Nightmare


Dinner from Nonna's Nightmare


I didn't have a cake, instead we ate tarts that I had picked up from Flour of Life vegan bakery on the way home from Izakaya Midori.

Tarts from Flour of Life


Cute Kitty Photo of the Show

Abby


Speaking of birthdays, yesterday (30th of January), should have been Abby's 7th birthday. This photo is from her 6th birthday, and I will never recover from the fact we only got to celebrate one of her birthdays together. I miss her so much.



2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a fun day. That is a beautiful pic of Abby. - Sri

    ReplyDelete