Saturday 26 March 2022

Mabon 2022

This year seems to be flying by, and here in the southern hemisphere we recently passed the autumn equinox, which is known as Mabon in the wheel of the year if you follow the sabbats. My recovery is also flying by, I can't believe it is almost five weeks since the surgery! I have been getting myself back into life by setting an alarm every morning, doing some arm exercises (seeing as I still can't do anything that engages my core), doing little drives, things like that. Also cooking a bit more!

Mabon aka Autumn Equinox (21st of March, 2022)

Although it is autumn, it is definitely still warm in Australia. With that in mind, I often make an Autumn-inspired salad! Though it looks like last year it was cool enough to make some chilli! But the start of this week was quite warm still, though we have at least had some cooler mornings. I also didn't make this on actual Mabon, as our grocery deliver was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day. But the intent was still there for when I finally did get to make it!

Minted Couscous with Spinach, Butternut Squash, and Currants from Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli: I made a half recipe of this, which made two big serves. I love pearl couscous! I hardly ever use it, but when I do I always fall in love all over again. The couscous is cooked in vegetable stock, which gives the salad a lot of flavour. It doesn't have a dressing as such, just the flavour of all the ingredients, but it works well! The butternut is roasted, which is always a winner. The recipe actually calls for rocket (arugula), but I used baby spinach instead as I am not a fan. I also added some peas for fun, and served it with some Field Roast Apple Sage sausage, which seemed autumny.
Rating: :)

Minted Couscous with Spinach, Butternut Squash, and Currants


And normally I would also make some sort of dessert... but I didn't. I am still getting back into the swing of things after surgery, so I took it easy on myself. However I had extra butternut pumpkin, so a couple of days later I made another recipe that also seemed very autumnal. So I'll share that here as well.

Curried Lentil, Squash, and Apple Stew from Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli: This is a slow simmering stew, that takes a bit of time but most of it is hands off and it is very easy. I was worried initially that it might be too sweet, but the flavours combined to make a wonderful savoury base with the sweet pumpkin and apple in it. I only had 1/3 of a cup of lentils, rather than the full 1/2 cup. I soaked them overnight to make sure they cooked well. I did need to add a bit of extra water when I added the pumpkin and apple. I only used 1tsp of mild curry power, which was perfect. It was a rainy night when I made this, which was just right.
Rating: :D

Curried Lentil, Squash, and Apple Stew


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Abby and Boo


Abby and Boo! Chilling near each other in the sun room! Amazing! It isn't always so chill. Boo still chases Abby sometimes, and then gets upset when Abby stands her ground. Such a naughty little sister! But it is nice that they can also spend time in the same vicinity as each other sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're recovering! I love couscous in all forms but I haven't had it in WAY too long. I need to remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couscous is very underused in my kitchen, but I am always glad when I do make it.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Glad you are getting better with time. Hopefully you are noticing the positive effects of your surgery too. Very yummy food you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Going forward this surgery is going to be one of the best things that has happened to me!

      Delete