Sunday 4 April 2021

Christmas 2020

It's the easter weekend, so seems like a good time to show you what I ate for Christmas last year. I was not feeling the Christmas spirit... Christmas day itself was exactly four weeks since Dim Sim passed away. Left to my own devices, I would have had a quiet day of doing nothing. But as I was not on my own, I had a quiet day of lunch with my parents.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, everyone was scrabbling around to get the Coles special Christmas products, which included some vegan gravy, a vegan roast, and a vegan vanilla pudding with chocolate sauce. I managed to score all three of them. (Though we didn't eat the gravy until after Christmas, so keep an eye out for that in a future post.)

Coles Christmas Foods


For lunch, we kept it simple. One of the new very easy things I tried was Maple Glazed Carrots from one of my newer cookbooks, the Kindness Community Vegan Cookbook. These had a nice citrus kick from orange juice, and had thyme and garlic and bay leaves as well. Rather than usual cute Dutch carrots with the tops still on, I could only get regular big carrots so I just cut them on a diagonal.
Rating: :)

Maple Glazed Carrots


Served these on a platter with some cranberry sauce from a jar, and some green beans that were steamed in their packet in the microwave. As I said, keeping it easy.

Maple Carrots, cranberry sauce, steamed green beans


The Coles Christmas Roast was delicious! I was sad I only got one of them, if they bring them back next year I will get a couple. It was not too heavy or too dry, and had a really nice savoury flavour. It came with some chutney in the box, which is served gently heated.

Coles Christmas Roast and Chutney


And we made the Potato Squashers from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, which we make every year for Christmas.

Coles Christmas Roast and Chutney and Potato Squashers


My mum made this Feta, Watermelon, and Cucumber salad that we got out of the Coles Christmas magazine. We used Sheese Feta in it. It also had olives and mint, and I used celerey for some crunch in place of raw red onion. This was really lovely, sweet and salty and fresh.

Feta, Watermelon, and Cucumber Salad from Coles Magazine


A plate full of food.

Christmas Lunch


For dessert, we had some Christmas pudding from Coles, which happened to be vegan. I served mine with some Alpro custard.

Coles Christmas Pudding and Alpro Custard


We had the Vegan vanilla sponge pudding the following day. It is just heated up in the microwave. I was a little suspicious as there was some coconut cream in the chocolate sauce. But while I could taste a hint of coconut, it was in such a small quantity that a serve didn't have any ill effect on me. This pudding is great! Again, wish I could have bought more than one. They should really have it year round, as there is nothing particularly Christmas-y about vanilla with chocolate sauce.

Coles Vanilla Sponge Pudding


As for presents, I got two new cookbooks that I was really excited for! Also a Buffy colouring book and the DVD of Cats. I love that movie and I don't care what anyone thinks! I also love listening to podcasts where they trash talk that movie. It is just a gift that never stops giving. I saw it two times in the movies, back in those blissful pre-COVID days.

Christmas Presents


Christmas Presents


My mum also ordered me some goodies from this place she saw on a FB advertisment. Sometimes advertising does pay! Some salted caramel and spiced maple covered nuts, ginger cookies, chocolate fudge cookies, and some rose berry and orange ginger truffles. My friends, these were all legit delicious! I'd never heard of this brand, but they were ah-may-zing.

Christmas Presents


Christmas Present Chocolates


In the following days, I of course made some sandwiches with leftover roast and chutney. I also added some baby spinach and some mayo. Very good.

Leftover Coles roast and chutney sandwich


Anyway, three and a bit months after the fact, but there you go. It was a sad day, though it was nice to spend it doing some traditional things. But a lot less effort than I normally go to. Sometimes taking it easy is the way to go. I am also taking this Easter Sunday easy, as I am sick and had to go get a COVID test this morning. So lots of resting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment