Tuesday 24 May 2016

Eating Out: Easy House Vegetarian

Yum cha has always been one of my favourite things, I used to go with my family frequently from the time I was quite young. Once I became vegan, yum cha at regular places became off limits, as even the items that look vegetarian are likely to have sneaky oyster sauce or chicken stock hidden somewhere in them. When I lived in Sydney, there were a few vegan yum cha places that I used to enjoy, but when I moved back to Brisbane things looked bleak. Thankfully for the past several years there has been Easy House Vegetarian, which does a daily lunch time yum cha. As long as you are willing to drive down to the Gold Coast (a bit under an hour from my place)... and believe me, you will be willing. It used to be that everything was vegan except for the egg custard tarts, but I haven't seen them offered at my last several visits, so unless they make a return then everything is vegan.

For my non-Australian friends, yum cha is known as dim sum in other places.

A little while ago, I went down to the Gold Coast with my friend Amy for a day of eating. And Easy House was out first stop for a yummy yum cha lunch. They have a large selection of yummy things - lots of steamed dumplings, steamed buns, small plates and deep-fried food. I don't like to eat much deep fried, and there is always plenty for me to choose from! While three is the optimum number for yum cha (because most plates have three pieces), Amy and I still did a pretty good job between the two of us! No prices, because I don't know what was what. They just bring it out and we say yes and they mark it on the sheet!

Sesame pork buns.

Pork Buns from Easy House Vegetarian


Bok choy and chicken dumplings.

Bok Choy and Chicken Dumplings from Easy House Vegetarian


Satay skewers.

Satay Chicken Skewers from Easy House Vegetarian


Beancurd rolls. My favourite!

Beancurd Rolls in Mushrooms Sauce from Easy House Vegetarian


Steamed BBQ pork buns.

Steamed Pork Buns from Easy House Vegetarian


Pan-fried rice noodles with XO Sauce.

Pan-Fried Rice Noodles in XO Sauce from Easy House Vegetarian


Radish cakes. My love!

Radish Cakes from Easy House Vegetarian


Coriander dumplings.

Coriander Dumpling from Easy House Vegetarian


It was pretty great! We had a couple more food adventures during the day, so stay tuned for those!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Neil de Cat Tyson


This is one of Amy's kitties. His name is Neil de Cat Tyson. He came to the clinic a while ago so I could give him his vaccinations, and he thought that he would also make an excellent vet.

10 comments:

  1. You're his favourite vet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he doesn't seem to hold it against me when I visit him at home.

      Delete
    2. Neil loves everyone. Especially if they smell interesting. Though he is being naughty right now and not cuddling up in bed with the rest of the family!

      Delete
  2. I think yum cha is a much better name than dim sum! Those fat rice noodles look amazing. And the bean curd rolls. OMG! I wanna go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably my favourite restaurant. I wish I could get down there more often because yum cha is pretty much the greatest. You should come and visit, and I will take you there. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing all the Asian food options! I love dim sum but my husband isn't a huge fan so we don't eat it nearly as much as I would like! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boo! And yum cha is something that really is best done with multiple people, not on your own. Hope you get to go again soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. The food looks amazing. I am always willing to drive for food. We live in a place that doesn't have many great options around (I may be slightly picky with my vegan dining) and we regularly drive 45+ minutes for me to find a good place to eat.
    Bok choy and chicken dumplings, steamed BBQ pork buns & coriander dumplings would be my picks!
    Neil de Cat Tyson???? Ah that's awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely happy to drive to food. ;) There are actually heaps of vegan restaurants down that way, but I always end up at yum cha. I really need to go try some of the others at some point.

      Delete
  5. I have never thought of radish cakes as being fish-like in appearance, but looking back I can definitely see that they could be seen like that. Thankfully they are all delicious and no fish. :)

    ReplyDelete