Monday 13 May 2024

UK/Spain 2024 Part 2: Edinburgh!

Once I was in Edinburgh, my wonderful incredible friend Jojo picked me up from the airport. Longtime bloggers/PPKers might remember Jojo from her original blog, Vegan In Brighton. Well, now Jojo lives in Scotland has has rescue sheep and we were going to spend a whole wonderful week together! Once I was collected, we went to our friend Emil's house. Emil is was also an old school blogger/PPKer, and now lives in Edinburgh, and it was their birthday on the day I arrived! So we were spending the night with Emil and their partner and their cat and our other friend Jenny who had come up from Manchester.

Right after we arrived, Emil had organised a delivery of the famous Gregg's Sausage Rolls and Steak Bakes. The sausage rolls were just OK (sorry UK, I am particular about my sausage rolls), but I loved the Steak Bake! Not pictured, there were also some Gregg's glazed doughnuts but I'm not a glazed doughnut fan. We aired out some hot food takes between us all, which was very funny.

Gregg's Sausage Roll and Steak Bake


After snacks, Jojo and I went for a very short walk to Easter Greens, a little vegan shop about 10 minutes walk from Emil's. Can I tell you how much I was loving Scotland? It was delightfully cool. Everything was so pretty. Take me back there! Anyway, Easter Greens was lovely! I bought some chocolate and some kombucha. Of the chocolate, I've had the Montezuma's 100% black before and know that is fantastic. But I haven't had the other ones yet! Obviously I drank the kombucha that night. The Strawberry and Rhubarb Kombucha was DELICIOUS! The ginger and yuzu, not so much.

Treats from Easter Greens


Kombuchas


On the way back, we walked passed a little vegan coffee shop called Little Fitzroy Cafe (which was amusing to me because Fitzroy in Melbourne has a ton of vegan options). The Hawaiian Pizza savoury roll in the window caught my eye. It was very good.

Little Fitzroy in Edinburgh


Once we were back, Jenny arrived and we had a lovely spread of snacks that I did not take a photo of. But it included dips, crackers, chips, and I'm just realising there was some vegan cheese that we never every got around to oh my god take me back there right now so I can eat it!

Emil made dinner, even though it was their birthday, and it was delicious! Lasagna, roasted potatoes, and green beans.

Emil's Birthday Dinner


THEN, they had also made their own cake. Emil is a professional baker by trade, so this of course was going to be stunning. They made an alcohol-free Cranachan-inspired cake, which was an oat and raspberry sponge and then some sort of special Russian buttercream. It was GORGEOUS and it was delicious!

Emil's Birthday Cake


Emil's birthday cake


I had brought Emil some things requested from Australia (vegan Kewpie mayo, vegan Kraft mac and cheese, vegan Tim Tams), but Emil had also prepared a box of things for me! Including some biscuits, chocolates, a pancake mix, and some vegan malt powder! I haven't tried any of these yet, but will report when I do!

Scottish Biscuits


Treats!
Treats from Emil


More Edinburgh eats in the next post!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kobi!


Kobi! Emil's cat! I have been a fan of Kobi for a long time on the interwebs, and I finally got to meet him. He is SO cute and funny! I love him.



8 comments:

  1. Awww, I miss Jojo's blog! Sounds like a fun time in Scotland and so many good eats. I've never been, but I hope to go someday since that's where some of my ancestral roots are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 100000% in love with Scotland. Highly recommend.

      Delete
  2. Wow Emil’s birthday cake is a work of art! What a fun way to spend your travels with fellow blogger friends. I have heard such great things about Scotland. I need to visit at some point. - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a fun hang-out with long-time friends! I'm so glad you got to feast together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please let us know how the malt powder is! I have been dreaming of a chocolate malt lately, but I have no way of getting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't cracked it open yet, but will report back soon!

      Delete