Tuesday 7 August 2018

Eating Out: Two Tables Cafe

I follow a lot of Brisbane vegans on Instagram, and have an every growing list of places to try. A while ago, my roster changed so that I had a split shift once a fortnight between two clinics, my regular clinic and one that is right near the delightful Two Tables Cafe in Clayfield. Clayfield is not close to my home, so this provided the ideal chance for me to stop in at this cafe for lunch as I moved between clinics. I loved it so much, I kept going back! The cafe is super cute, and the service is just so lovely. The second time I went in, the woman who runs it remembered me and my coconut fat aversion, even though I had only been there once before two weeks ago! That sort of attention to customer detail is impressive. The cafe is vegetarian, but with lots of vegan options. Check out how sweet it is!

Two Tables Cafe


The first time I went I ordered the Tofu Burger, which is eared tofu served with pumpkin, eggplant, carrot, and BBQ sauce. In summer, they make it with a miso slaw, but as it was winter they subbed in pumpkin instead. It was so delicious. I paired it with a Hazelnut Milkshake. They normally make their milkshakes using Cocolucious coconut ice cream (which is the worst of all the coconut ice creams for me) and coconut milk, but she made it with some frozen banana and soy milk instead. So maybe more like a smoothie, but it was still a creamy, cold, sweet treat.

Tofu Burger (with pumpkin instead of slaw) at Two Tables Cafe


Hazelnut 'Milk'shake at Two Tables Cafe


It was a chilly day on my next visit, so I opted for a warming soy hot chocolate. And I was pretty hungry, so I tackled The Works Burger. An artisan vegan patty (I believe it is the Fenn Foods Veef Patty), mushroom, tofu, lettuce, tomato, and hash brown with tomato sauce and aioli. I got it without the raw onion, and I had subbed the tofu in for the haloumi listed on the menu to make it vegan. It was delicious and filling, though didn't leave me feeling sluggish at all. All their burgers also come with a perfect sized serve of chips!

The Works Burger at Two Tables Cafe


Hot Chocolate at Two Tables Cafe


My third trip saw me in a breakfast for lunch mood. I ordered the pancakes with caramelised bananas, and instead of coconut ice cream they kindly gave me a hash brown instead. Potato at every meal!! I also ordered an acai smoothing, though they were out of acai so offered a pitaya one instead. This was even better, as I love pitaya! Mostly because it is super pink, but it also tastes like fruity candy.

Pitaya Smoothie at Two Tables Cafe


Pancakes with Caramelised Banana and a side of Hash Brown at Two Tables Cafe


Anyway, I am quite in love with this little cafe. They have recently had a bit of a menu revamp, including some deluxe pancakes, and I am super excited to continue my fortnightly visits and work my way through all the vegan options on the menu. Did I mention that they make all their own bread products in house as well? So good! The only downside for me is that the only vegan sweets they have are raw ones that they order in. The other sweets are generally not vegan (though they do sometimes have vegan baked goods as specials). A little sweet treat at the end would be just right! But that certainly won't be keeping me away!

Two Tables Cafe - 475 Sandgate Road, Clayfield

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Penny


Can you believe that little Penny still hasn't gotten a home? She is so cute!

4 comments:

  1. Smoothie? Milkshake? It just matters that it is yummy and VERY cold! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit all the buttons of an excellent shmookie (what I shall now call a shake/smoothie hybrid).

      Delete
  2. So close to me! And all the food looks lovely. I need to get there this week... I won't be able to take my kids - they hate Cocoluscious to the point of getting teary if they want something with ice cream and that's the only option. !! I like coconut and I liked the ice cream in its early days... but it's not the same. There's a rancid note I can't get past. :/ ugh, I hate criticising local vegan products but I don't want people to think that's the best vegan ice cream can be, either. Too many places use it... Dicki's has Over The Moo, thank goodness! Even cheap So Good is nicer, gosh. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over The Moo is no good for me either, but I know a lot of people who don't like Cocoluscious even without having coconut fat issues. But ice cream aside, Two Tables is super lovely and I recommend a visit!

      Delete