Thursday 18 January 2018

Eating Out: Pu Kwong and Su Life

This post is a mash up of a few visits to Pu Kwong, and one to Su Life.

Regular readers will know of my love for visiting Pu Kwong! You can check out my other visits here Of course, no meal at Pu Kwong is complete without some bean curd rolls and steamed BBQ buns to start!!

Beancurd Rolls at Pu Kwong


Steamed BBQ Bun at Pu Kwong


My favourite dish there, that I have ordered frequently at recent visits, is the mixed mushrooms with tofu. A giant plate of soft roasted tofu and mixed mushrooms in a great savoury brown sauce. While I am partial to bok choy, I if they replaced it with broccoli it would be the ultimate dish for me.

Mixed Mushroom and Tofu at Pu Kwong


Tofu and Mixed Mushrooms at PuKwong


We almost always order the Greens In Ginger Sauce as well, because vegetables are important!

Greens in Ginger Sauce at Pu Kwong


My mum is a huge fan of salt and pepper eggplant. While I find most salt and pepper things a bit too deep fried to eat more than a couple of pieces, my mum gives their version of it a thumbs up!

Salt and Pepper Eggplant at Pu Kwong


Mum has also ordered the Sizzling Mongolian Lamb a couple of times. It has a lovely sauce, and the vegan lamb chunks are a good texture.

Sizzling Mongolian Lamb at Pu Kwong


Dad ordered the Combination Chow Mein once, which came with lots of different mock meats. I steered well clear of the mock seafood (I just don't like it), and I prefer the noodles once they have softened a bit in the sauce. But my dad really liked it.

Combination Chow Mein at Pu Kwong


Last time we went, my mum tried a crispy chicken dish. I think it was called Shangdong chicken, but I can't find the menu online anymore and it isn't in my takeaway menu, so I am not sure. Anyway, it was crispy fried chicken strips on top of crispy fried greens with a sweet sauce. A lot of fried, even for my mother. Definitely a dish for sharing with a crowd!

Crispy Chicken thing at PuKwong


It has been a while since I have been to Su Life. We used to get take away from there fairly regularly, though not for ages. And I have only actually been there a couple of times. You can see my other Su Life experiences here. Su Life can be quite hit and miss, so if you find a dish you like there, it is best to stick to it and keep ordering. The one thing they do that is consistently amazing is their Pan Fried Dumplings. They are great, with a tasty filling and a nice sauce. Mum and I had lunch there a while ago, so we of course started with some of those.

Pan-Fried Dumplings at Su Life


I thought I'd try something light, with the Mini Miso Steam set. It ended up being pretty big! Also the soup was so hot, and there was a flame underneath it that just would not let it cool down. I burnt my tongue so bad! I almost thought I was going to scar my oesophagus and stomach, it was so hot, no matter how much I tried blowing on the spoon!

Mini Miso Steam Set at Su Life


Mum stuck to her favourite, the Spicy Crispy Chicken. This is probably the most famous dish that Su Life has. The spice level can vary widely, from a bit of heat to super hot, though I always brave a piece or two to see if it is too much for me. I really like the celery and the cashews in it!

Spicy Crispy Chicken at Su Life


Pu Kwong Vegetarian Restaurant - 2796 Logan Road, Underwood, Queensland - 07 3841 8999

Su Life Vegetarian Restaurant - 4/2120 Logan Rd, Upper Mt Gravatt QLD 4122 - (07) 3349 5995

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


I am not sure what I did to deserve this judgmental look!

No comments:

Post a Comment