Sunday 17 September 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cookin' Crunk

My how time flies. It has been almost four weeks between posts? Not intentional, but just things happening. Nothing of note happened, just, you know, things. But let's get back to some recipe round-ups! It has been ages since I have done one, and we are ready to move on to a new cookbook. This series of round-ups will be coming from Cookin' Crunk, written by Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk blog fame! See other posts about this book here

Tangy Tempeh Chops with Mashed Sweet Taters: The tempeh chops recipe was meant to have green peppers in it, but no way, I used some extra celery. I made half the recipe and got one very satisfying serving. The sauce has a bunch of things in it, including ketchup! The mashed sweet taters looked suspiciously too sweet when I read the recipe... maple syrup and nutmeg? But actually they were not too sweet, and had a lovely flavour that was the perfect companion for the tangy tempeh. I made a quarter of a recipe for one serve. All served over some baby spinach.
Rating: Tempeh :), Sweet Potato :)

Tangy Tempeh Chops; Mashed Sweet Taters


Creamy Tahini Sauce: This was absolutely delicious! I did switch it up a little by just using a few drops of sesame oil and using water for the rest of the tablespoon it called for, but I find a tiny bit of sesamy oil goes a long way. This is used in one of the recipes in the book, but I served it over some brown rice, roasted broccoli, and sauteed tofu for an old-school vegan bowl.
Rating: :D

Creamy Tahini Sauce


Sweet 'n' Savoury Marinated Tofu: This is a variation given in the book for the sweet 'n' spicy tofu, but no spicy here. This variation switches out the sriracha for ginger. And it is sooooo good! I scaled the recipe down a bit as my block of tofu was only 300g rather than 450g, but I wish I had the bigger block because this tofu is incredible! I did use some of it in sandwiches, but I also used some of it just for eating straight up.
Rating: :D

Sweet 'n' Savoury Marinated Tofu


Tofu Cottage Cheese: This recipe is very simple to make, but then has a bunch of different uses. Bianca recommends spreading it on toast with Marmite, so I put it on toast with Vegemite. Vegemite is Marmite's superior Australian equivalent. So salty, so good. I also added some fresh tomato slices. This was excellent for breakfast or for lunch.
Rating: :)

Tofu Cottage Cheese


Cheese Tofu Scramble: I am a simple woman, and at the end of the day I love a tofu scramble over any vegan-egg based scramble. Tofu is my truest food love. This is a great savory flavoured cheese scramble. I used celery, mushrooms, and spinach as the vegetables. I browned the tofu first, before adding in the flavouring mixture. A lovely version of a classic.
Rating: :)

Cheesy Tofu Scramble


Tofu Scramble Enchiladas: I switched this up a bit to suit my own tastes, replacing the chili powder with paprika, leaving out the salsa, and using wheat tortillas rather than corn tortillas. What we got was a lovely casserole of saucy, cheesy, tofu filled enchiladas that was just as good for dinner as they would have been for breakfast.
Rating: :)

Tofu Scramble Enchiladas


Dill Weed Potato Salad: A fun twist on a potato salad, this has pimento olives in it! I have never had a potato salad with olives in it before, but it definitely works. I left out the raw onion and the jalapeno. I used dried dill for this, as the recipe called for, but if I had fresh dill I would definitely have used that instead.
Rating: :)

Dill Weed Potato Salad


Cute Kitty Photo of the Month

Mirabelle


The 7th of September was Mirabelle's one year adoptiversary!



5 comments:

  1. Hello and nice to see a new post! I haven’t made these recipes from Vegan Crunk yet so it is nice to see your take before I tackle them. And happy anniversary Mirabella! - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got several more posts of things I have made from cooking crunk, I'd love to know what your favourites from the book are!

      Delete
    2. The Macaroni and Tomato’s is my favorite. I make it multiple times in the summer when tomatoes peak. Ultimate comfort food 😋 - Sri

      Delete
  2. Wow, I haven't encountered Vegan Crunk in years! This looks like a really good set of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up on all of these posts. Just warmed my heart, Susan!! Thank you!! <3

    ReplyDelete