Thursday 9 March 2023

Midweek Munchies

Hello hello! I have been busy with work, my PhD, and playing five million hours of Stardew Valley. Seriously, I know I am late to the party, but that game is seriously addictive. Anyone else play? Tell me about your farm!

But, here are some munchies!

Fry's used to make a sausage that had chunks of vegan cheese in it, that got all gooey and melty when you cooked them and was incredible. Then they stopped making them. I was hoping that these would be similar, but alas the cheese was not really noticeable. Other than that, they were a very good sausage. This brand makes good sausages, though I haven't seen these particular ones around since then, so maybe they stopped making this variety.

Sausages


Sausages


I have been loving this Masterfoods Corn Relish. The downside is it does have some bits of capsicum in it, but the upside is that you can't really tell it is in there.

Corn Relish


Fry's vegan Brioche burgers are the very best for burger buns. But they have only been sporadically available of late. So if you can't find those, these make an adequate burger bun replacement. But make sure it is these gourmet ones, don't get the potato ones.

Burger Buns


I found this flavoured TVP San Choy Bow on a very good sale, so once assessed that there was no chili in it I grabbed it to try. I served it as a bowl with rice and spinach rather than in lettuce cups, and topped it with hoisin sauce, fresh cucumber, and coriander. I wouldn't get it again unless it was on a super sale, but it was OK.

San Choy Bow Bowl


San Choy Bow Bowl


I also found these on sale. I couldn't decide if I like them or not. When I first tasted it, it was weird and kind of bitter, but then I couldn't stop eating them. So I guess I come down in favour of them!

Twiglets


I bought this Congee to take to hospital with me when I had my hysterectomy (just over a year since that joyous day!) in case there was nothing to eat in hospital, but I didn't need it because they fed me a lot. So in the spirit of using things up, I had it for lunch one day. It is not bad! Nice and savoury. Could definiely do with a bit of doctoring up if you are so inclined. But as is it makes a pretty good emergency snack.

Congee


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Mirabelle


The face of a sad Mirabelle loaf. Boo and Eloise had both taken two of her favourite sleeping spots. So she came and stole my spot on the couch, and sat there looking very sad.



6 comments:

  1. Snacks you aren't sure you like but just keep eating are the mysterious side of life. I tend to stick with what I know I like, but I do know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! With your already busy schedule - I did not realize you were also getting your PhD! You are amazing 🤓 - Sri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possibly the slowest PhD in the history of PhDs!

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan - new reader here! I’m also doing my PhD and transitioned to vegan last year after 15 years of vegetarianism. Really enjoying your updates, you’ve given me lots of ideas for things to check out next time I’m at the supermarket (though in Tassie we still don’t get everything the mainland gets, haha!). At the moment I’m making the most of my garden’s produce and have zucchinis and tomatoes galore ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philippa! Thank you for coming to my blog. PhD buddies unite! Hope your PhD is going OK, what are you doing it in?

      Delete