Sunday 24 April 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Celebrate Vegan

Who else is obsessed with Heartstopper, both the books and the new Netflix show?? It is so cute and pure and good! If you have loved it, please let me know so we can scream at each other about it! In the mean time, let's look at some more recipes from Celebrate Vegan. You can see my previous posts about it here.

Baked Agave Tofu and Potato Kugel: Despite the name, this tofu isn't as sweet as you think it will be, it just has a subtle sweetness. As well as agave, it also has citrus, soy, ginger, and cinnamon. I scored my tofu lightly so it could absorb maximum marinade, and marinated it overnight. It does have quite a long bake time, and I did have to increase the heat to get all the marinade absorbed. The kugel recipe makes a lot, I just scaled it down to a quarter recipe. It was comforting, of course, with all that shredded potato and onion and a hefty whack of nutritional yeast, but I would add a touch more salt next time.
Rating: Tofu :), Kugel :)

Baked Agave Tofu and Potato Kugel


Lucky Soba Noodles with Dipping Sauce: I love a cold noodle salad with a beautiful sauce, but this one was pretty meh. The sauce is made using broth (vegetable, mushroom, or miso) and soy sauce, I used a mushroom extract, but it needed a lot more flavour. I would definitely add some miso to the mix. Otherwise it is just cold noodle salads, with the sauce tipped over them, and topped with whatever you want. I went with spinach, cucumber, pickled carrot and daikon, tofu, and seaweed gomasio. The sauce is really important in this, but as written just let it down.
Rating: :|

Lucky Soba Noodles with Dipping Sauce


Blender Hollandaise Sauce: This is meant to be put into crepes with asparagus, but I couldn't be bothered making crepes. Instead I served the sauce over a sauteed portobello, roasted asparagus and sweet potato, and baby spinach. The sauce is made with silken tofu as the base, and is nice and creamy and rich and tangy.
Rating: :)

Blender Hollandaise Sauce


Sesame Seed Cookies: These cookies have a lot of sesame seeds in them! I used a mix of 3/4 white and 1/4 black sesame seeds, so they are pretty to look at. These cookies are crispy, crunchy, sweet and lovely! As the book says, perfect with a cup of tea. A half recipe of these made 12.
Rating: :)

Sesame Seed Cookies


Banana Spelt Bread: I got some extra bananas in our order specifically so I could let them get extremely ripe for this recipe. As well as the base recipe, there are a number of add ins you can choose. I added some chocolate chips and dried cranberries, which made for a lovely not-too-sweet afternoon treat. A lot of the baking in this book uses a small amount of soy flour, and I have some soy flour languishing in my pantry. So I am planning on holding onto this book for a while to use up some of that in further baking recipes.
Rating: :)

Banana-Spelt Bread


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara


Just a little throw back to my beautiful Sahara, snuggling into a doona.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, that first plate of baked agave tofu and potato kugel has caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it's been a while since I've pulled that book off the shelf! Man, those cookies look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking plates, dishes, bowls - as always! And that BREAD! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about kugel for ages! I'm sorry about the noodle salad but it all looks really pretty in spite of the meh dressing.

    ReplyDelete