Tuesday 2 July 2019

Eating Out: Grassfed

Grassfed, Brisbane's all vegan burger and ice cream restaurant (featuring I Should Coco ice cream), has been hugely popular since its opening several months ago. I have been twice before, but was keen to get back to keep working through their burger menu. The downside of this place is that there is extremely limited seating, so you need to time your trip just right. I managed to get a seat a couple of times recently for lunch visits, which I enjoyed a lot.

Of course I had to get a Strawberry Milkshake, my favourite part of any trip to Grassfed! I am happy to see they are now serving the milkshakes in glasses if you are eating in, rather than in single use BioCups like the last time I visited.

Strawberry Milkshake at Grassfed


I was excited at this visit because they had just announced onion rings as being added to the menu. When I think of onion rings of my youth, I think of the ones from Hungry Jacks. Most onion rings of now are not like that, they are too much batter and oil and make me feel sick. But I still always try it if I see it, just in case. And these... these were amazing!

Onion Rings at Grassfed


I finally got my BFC burger, the last time I ordered it I realised afterwards they had left off the bacon and the mushrooms, but this time it was in it's full glory! Veef patty, Bacon, fries, double cheese, king oyster mushroom, caramelised onion, tomato, lettuce, pickles and Grassfed special sauce. It was huge, so filling! I did have something spicy in it, which I wasn't a fan of. I suspected it was the special sauce.

BFC at Grassfed


I headed back again the following week. Of course, a strawberry milkshake! Enjoy another photo.

Strawberry Milkshake at Grassfed


I ordered the Chick'en Burger this time. Normally it has Chick’en schnitzel, lettuce, sauerkraut, and aioli sriracha sauce, but I got them to switch out the sriracha aioli for beetroot aioli. This is a terrible photo of what was a really nice burger.

Chick'n Burger at Grassfed


I also ordered some more onion rings. But this time, they let me down so hard. The first photo they are wonderfully brown and crunchy. This time they were pale and soggy. Woe. I think I will just remember that first perfect time, and stick to fries from now on. They served them now with special sauce as default, and I was able to confirm that their special sauce is indeed spicy! Rude. So in future I will be sure to sub it for something else in any other burgers I eat.

Onion Rings at Grassfed


Grassfed - 4/27 Cordelia Street, South Brisbane QLD 4101

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Gizmo on the parent's bed


I've shared this photo of Gizmo before. But several weeks ago I commissioned an artist that I love to do a portrait of Gizmo. She picked out a few photos from the Flickr that she thought would suit her style the best, and this was the one we chose to recreate. I'll show you the finished piece in the next post!

6 comments:

  1. That milkshake looks so good I want to cry!! I've never even had a vegan milkshake! I would definitely choose strawberry too.
    That burger looks insane!
    Too bad about the onion rings. I totally know what you mean about the greasy ones. Major upset stomach!
    I love that picture of Gizmo so much!! I can't wait to see the finished piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry forever! I could never pick another flavour.

      Delete
  2. OMG YUM!!! That burger looks ridiculously amazing! I wouldn't even know how to tackle that, it is huge! I can totally see the difference in the onion rings in the two pictures. The first picture they look perfect! A perfect onion ring is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw it I realised that I have TMJ issues and need to be ordering much more responsibly in the future. Ha. Oh well. Thankfully it squished down a fair bit, and then I just ate bits of it as they fell out as well.

      Delete
  3. The burgers and strawberry milkshakes look so good; too bad about the onion rings the second time around, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw another person post their food from there and the onion rings looked very pale as well. Maybe I just got lucky on the first time that they 'overcooked' them! Oh well, fries from now on!

      Delete