Tuesday 4 December 2018

Recipe Round-Up: The Joy of Vegan Baking

I am fairly sure that The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick Goudreau was one of the first vegan baking books I ever owned. It is a book I have turned to many times, both for old favourites and for trying new things. A lot of the recipes I made before I started taking photos, so I don't actually have too many on my blog. But I will be remaking them with time. You can see what I have posted before here.

No-Bake Strawberry Pie with Chocolate Chunks: This recipe comes together pretty easily. Using a No-Bake Pecan Crust, you need a lot of strawberries to fill it. Sliced fresh strawberries are layered into the crust, and then topped with a quick strawberry puree mix made on the stove using strawberries, dates, and lemon juice. I found it best to put down half the sliced strawberries, then top with half the puree, then repeat. Otherwise the puree tends to just pool and not run down to all the nooks and crannies.
Rating: :)

No Bake Strawberry Pie with Chocolate Chunks


Chocolate Brownies: These are some moist (sorry) fudgy brownies. I baked for almost about hour (rather than 40 minutes as the recipe said), and they were still very moist (sorry). At 40 minutes, they were really not quite cooked. Though to be fair, I know my oven does tend to take a little longer.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Brownies


Lemon Bars: I love lemon bars, and these are definitely some of the best. The short crust base is a quite stiff and a bit hard to spread out, but some damp fingers helped to press it out nicely. These are tart and sweet and oh so good. They have silken tofu in them, but you can't taste it at all. My oven needed about an extra 5-10 minutes for each baking step. Make these!
Rating: :D

Lemon Bars


Apple Cobbler: I prefer crumble, but cobbler is always fun. Plus it is kind of like having pie without having to make a pie crust! Tart apples and cinnamon are under a flaky dough. Again, my oven needed an extra 10 minutes to cook the dough through all the way. Great with ice cream.
Rating: :)

Apple Cobbler


Apple Cobbler


Hot Chocolate: A warming mug of hot, melted chocolate and nondairy milk, what is not to enjoy? Topped with some Dandies that had dried out a little.
Rating: :)

Hot Chocolate


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim Unicorn


So, I'm that sort of cat mother now. $7 for a unicorn hoodie at Kmart and I couldn't resist. She was less than impressed. She wore it for a few minutes while I took photos, and then I took it off. I don't think I can put it on her again, but geez it was adorable!

10 comments:

  1. I love that lemon bar recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good. I like this one and also the one from Isa and Terry.

      Delete
  2. I love lemon bars! I need to find this book and make them!
    OMG DimSim has the same look as Etta did when I put her reindeer hat on!! She looks so freaking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not impressed with playing dress up!

      Delete
  3. Wolfie pointed at Dim Sim and said "sheep, sheep" Poor kitty lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dim Sim would like to point out that she is actually a magical, magestic, mythical creature... who has been forced to dress as a unicorn. ;)

      Delete
  4. I could definitely go for some apple cobbler and hot chocolate! Dim Sim is so adorable; she was a good sport to let you get some pictures, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was not in any hurry to give me any good poses!

      Delete
  5. Dessert! I'd have them all! I have to bake my brownies forever, too, so you're not alone there. If you ever figure out why, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! There is fudgey, and then there is goop.

      Delete