Tuesday 27 November 2018

Recipe Round-Up: The Great Vegan Protein Book

The Great Vegan Protein Book by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes has your 'where do you get your protein from' needs covered. No weird protein powders, just tofu, seitan, tempeh, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Let's get ripped! Or whatever it is all this protein people are so obsessed about is meant to do. You can see other recipes I've made from the book here.

Butter Bean Gravy: This gravy is very thick and hearty, involving a full tin of pureed butter beans, but I found it a bit bland. And this was even after I blended in some mushrooms. You soak shiitakes in broth to get a mushroom flavour to it, and I just added in the mushrooms themselves to the gravy as well. A splash of soy sauce definitely helps with the flavour. It also has shallots, garlic, nutritional yeast, and fresh herbs (I used sage).
Rating: :|

Butter Bean Gravy


Broccoli and Mushroom Freekehzotto: This uses a mix of fresh and dried mushrooms (I used a 'gourmet' mix), as well as freekeh as the grain. I took the option to use cracked freekeh, and it cooked in about 30 minutes (the recipe says 40 minutes for cracked freekeh). This is made creamy with a blend of nutritional yeast and cashews, and is filly, creamy, and tasty.
Rating: :)

Broccoli and Mushroom Freekehzotto


Do the Cocoa Shake: A full recipe of this uses a full block of silken tofu, but it is easy to scale down if you just have a bit of silken tofu that you'd like to use up. I made a one third amount, which was a small single serve (the full recipe says it makes four serves). It also has frozen banana and peanut butter, which gives it a sweet flavour.
Rating: :)

Do the Cocoa Shake


Fiesta Scramble: This bright and colourful scramble has scallion, red onion, drained fire roasted tomatoes (I didn't have quite enough so I used some chopped fresh tomatoes with smoked paprika to make up to volume), corn, and coriander. It made quite a bit, and has a lot of corn in it, so decrease the corn if you are not such a fan. I took the head down bu omitting the jalapeno and just using a scrape of adobo sauce.
Rating: :)

Fiesta Scramble


Reuben Scramble 'Wiches: I'm a fan of the Reuben. This version uses a seasoned tofu scramble, that includes sauerkraut . It is served open faced, on toast spread with dijon and topped with spinach and dill pickles. Certainly not really a Reuben in the traditional sense of ingredients, but still fun and tasty. The onions and tomatoes in the scramble added a nice sweetness to is as well. I left out the capsicum, of course.
Rating: :)

Reuben Scramble 'Wiches


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kitten blep


Kitten blep! I was trying to take a pretty posed photo of our adoption kitten Sabrina, this is what I got. Sabrina, as well as her three brothers, have already been adopted into their new homes!

6 comments:

  1. I've always thought too many beans blended into any kind of sauce or gravy can be a bit blan. I definitely feel like they need to be cut with something.
    The tofu scramble Reuben looks really interesting and tasty!!
    Sabrina is gorgeous. no wonder she found her home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans are so creamy on their own, definitely need some spiking up if they are being used in a sauce.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. I didn't know about this book. I've just ordered it for a Christmas present

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those cookbooks I've been wanting to get. Everything looks yummy except that bean gravy. We tried a bean gravy this year for Thanksgiving (one from Super Fun Times Holiday cookbook) and it was ok. My husband says he prefers our miso mushroom gravy, and I agree. Too bad I always modify the recipe and never write it down lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely prefer my gravies to be brown and very savoury.
      I have made some great other stuff from here though, so would definitely recommend it.

      Delete