Monday 30 July 2018

Recipe Round-Up: Nut Butter Universe

Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson is a fun book full of, you guessed it, a range of recipes using nuts and nut butters. This title is now out of print, but has been revised into The Nut Butter Cookbook. Any nut butter other than peanut butter is super expensive here, and buying the nuts themselves to make a butter is not much cheaper, so I have used this book sparingly so far as a result. You can see my other recipe round-up from this book here.

Fire Ants on a Log: This is a fun take on the regular ants on a log. The celery is filled with a mix of almond butter, maple syrup, and cayenne (I just used the tiniest smidge), and then topped with cranberries. I had three sticks of celery, and made 1/4 of the filling, which was the perfect ratio. This was a great snack.
Rating: :)

Fire Ants on a Log


Vegetable Cashew Korma: This recipe was delicious - big servings that were super creamy and super yum. This recipe uses homemade cashew cream, and a homemade onion/ginger/garlic paste. You were also meant to add some jalapenos to the paste, but I didn't. It was a bit odd, because when I started blending the paste, it turned turquoise! Was I about to poison myself? The internet said no, and the colour didn't come through in the final dish. This is full of potato, broccoli, chickpeas, spinach, and peas. So good!
Rating: :D

Vegetable Cashew Korma


Penne Primavera with Avocado Cashew Cream: Another winning recipe! The avocado cashew cream is amazing, though the flavour gets a bit diluted with the hot pasta. But I would make this cream for all sorts of things. Salads, nachos, dipping, whatever. Because avocado sauces don't tend to last well as leftovers, I halved this recipe to serve two. I also, as per usual, downsized the amount of pasta I use. The original recipe calls for 12-16 ounces, I used 8 ounces. I also added some peas and spinach to the vegetables (which included carrot, broccoli, and zucchini). I didn't have any fresh basil for garnish, so I used parsley.
Rating: :D

Penne Primavera with Avocado Cashew Cream


Szechuan Stir-Fry with Fiery Peanut Sauce: Regular readers know, this sauce was more a smolder than a fire. The strong flavoured sauce is based on peanut butter, with a bunch of other tasty condiments and seasonings added. Cooling it down was easy, just cut back or omit the red pepper flakes. The stir-fry itself is full of tofu, onion, broccoli, shiitake, cabbage and carrot (in place of capsicum).
Rating: :)

Szechuan Stir-Fry with Fiery Peanut Sauce


Buckwheat Noodles with Ginger-Peanut Spinach: This is an easy recipe, with a peanut butte rand ginger based sauce served with buckwheat soba and wilted spinach. Instead of 12oz of buckwheat soba, I used 8oz of regular soba (with wheat, as I don't need to worry about gluten). I also added extra spinach, peas, and some Japanese marinated tofu because that is how I roll.
Rating: :)

Buckwheat Noodles with Ginger-Peanut Spinach


Mushroom-Cashew Breakfast Burritos: This lovely creamy tofu and mushroom scramble is cooked in a sauce cashew butter and almond milk (though I used oat) mix. These worried me a little as it starts off looking very soupy in the pan, but it did cook down to a great sauce. However, it did take a bit longer to get there then the 10 minutes the recipe stated, I started at higher heat and then decreased it as it started to thicken. I served mine wrapped in a large wholegrain wrap, with some spinach stuffed inside as well. Apologies for the terrible photo, I suck at photographing wraps to begin with, and this mix was delicious but not photogenic.
Rating: :)

Mushroom-Cashew Breakfast Burritos


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim in the morning


Dim Sim sleeps under the covers with me every night, and often doesn't get up until after me. Then she emerges, with a series of small mrows. Here she is, fresh out of the covers, fur a little ruffled, and her little morning face. I love her!

8 comments:

  1. I love Robin Robertson so much! This definitely looks like a book that I need. I've only recently discovered the beauty of adding nut butter to curries!!
    Look at that gorgeous morning face! I wish I looked that good when I first wake up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I definitely do not look that cute when I first wake up. I don't look that cute any time!

      Delete
  2. Both of the peanut sauces sound good to me! That is so adorable that Dim Sim sleeps under the covers with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has only been doing it since she become an only cat. I love it.

      Delete
  3. Nut butters are just so expensive, I almost bought some almond butter as it was pretty cheap (a larger jar for $8) but I thought I didn't ACTUALLY need it and passed. Some nut butters I don't get why they are so expensive like sunflower seed butter or soy butter. Why!?

    These look pretty tasty, and I like how you focused on peanut butter. ^__~ cheap and far superior in flavor than other nut butters lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps that peanut butter is my favourite! I will often sub it in for other nut butters in certain recipes, particularly desserts or smoothies.

      Delete