Friday 10 April 2015

Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Planet (original edition)

I ended up taking an accidental blogging break, despite my good intentions leading up to Vida Vegan Con! Part of that is because I am co-authoring a chapter on feline diabetes in a major veterinary internal medicine textbook, so that is pretty exciting but kind of takes up a fair bit of time!

The original edition of Vegan Planet was my first introduction to Robin Robertson. It has recently been released as an updated and revised version as well. While I have both, all of my cooking has come from the original version.

In a Jiffy Chili-Couscous Pie: If you have some leftover chili (I used the recommended Sweet and Spicy Chili) this comes together 'in a jiffy'. A couscous base, topped with cheese, spread with chili, topped with more cheese and onions. Bake. Your are done! I decreased the couscous by half though, because it seemed like it would be far too thick a layer, and this alternation made it just perfect for me.
This recipe appears in the revised edition as 'Chili-Couscous Pie', and includes an option for using cheesy sauce instead of vegan cheese.
Rating: :)

In a Jiffy Chili-Couscous Pie


Eggplant and Spinach Lasagna: I made a half recipe of this using an 8 inch square casserole dish. Despite the tofu ricotta component (I still used the full amount of spinach for this part), I didn't find this particularly filling, I had to eat quite a lot!
This appears in the updated edition unchanged except for using slightly less olive oil.
Rating: :)

Eggplant and Spinach Lasagna


Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka: Unfortunately I was a little underwhelmed by this. I found the silken tofu-based topping quite bland, it just needed something else (I ended up putting a bunch of nooch on top, though that isn't exactly unusual for me). The eggplant slices are pretty delicious!
This appears in the updated edition with a few changes to the ingredients.
Rating: :|

Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka


No-Egg Salad Sandwiches: I always like a good tofu-based 'egg' salad sandwich. This one is fairly classic, but I also added some dill in because I love the flavour.
This appears in the updated edition with no changes.
Rating: :)

No-Egg Salad Sandwiches


Curried Chickenless Salad Sandwich: Tempeh stands in as the basis of this fairly sweet sandwich filling. It has a great texture with the tempeh, crunchy celery and almonds, and sweet bursts of golden raisins. I left out the capsicum, of course.
This recipe appears in the original edition using 8 oz of tempeh instead of 12 oz.
Rating: :)

Curried Chickenless Salad Sandwich


Tuna-Free Sandwich Filling: We've had tofu, tempeh and now chickpeas are the star of this sandwich filling. If you want a more fishy taste then add more kelp powder.
This recipe appears in the updated edition with the addition of salt and pepper.
Rating: :)

Tuna-Free Sandwich Filling


Three-Bean Burritos: I always have the worst time taking photos of wraps or burittos! Refried beans, kidney beans and black beans make up our beanly trio, which made far more filling that would fit into four large tortillas, but better too much than not enough! Or maybe large tortillas in the US are larger than out large tortillas here.
This recipe appears in the updated edition with no changes.
Rating: :)

Three-Bean Burritos


Portobello Fajitas: More terrible photos. These photos were taken a long time ago, but still I haven't gotten much better! These are great fajitas with portobello strips, red onions and zucchini strips instead of capsicum. It is nice with some sour cream added as well.
This appears in the update edition with slightly less olive oil and slightly less chili powder.
Rating: :)

Portobello Fajitas


Grilled Vegetable Wraps: Slightly better photo I guess. These are stuffed with grilled red onion, portobello and zucchini, I just left out the capsicum. I grilled the vegetables on my tiny George Foreman grill, and kept them warm in the oven until I had finished them all. The wraps are spread with some mayo to bring some creaminess.
This recipe appears in the updated edition using a large rather than medium red onion.
Rating: :)

Grilled Vegetable Wraps


Stuffed Mushroom Burgers: Take a large portobello mushroom, sautee it, stuff it with a cooked veggie burger (I used a Fry's burger in this one) and serve in a roll. Tasty goodness! Could be even better with some melted cheese as well.
This appears in the update edition without any changes.
Rating: :)

Stuffed Mushroom Burgers


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

More kitties in a basket


More kitties in a basket! Mia, the saucy tortie at the front, will be going to her new home soon with some wonderful clients! But Polly and Precious are still waiting.

6 comments:

  1. When all else fails, shovel all the nooch on top! :D

    I could have eaten that lasagna like a savage! I wish my body would let me eat copious amounts of tofu like a normal vegan. GRRRR!!

    Saucy tortie! I wish I could adopt Polly and Precious. Hopefully they will find their people soon.

    Good luck with all the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've found the best moussaka to be the v-con one. I want to adopt those kitties!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. River - Even when everything goes perfectly, NOOCH ON TOP! ;)

    Amy - I love the Vcon one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. River - Even when everything goes perfectly, NOOCH ON TOP! ;)

    Amy - I love the Vcon one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG and I totally agree with you & Amy, the V'con moussaka is the best ever.

    ReplyDelete