Sunday 23 October 2011

VeganMoFo 2011 #23: '1000 Vegan Recipes'



1000 Vegan Recipes
Robin Robertson, John Wiley & Sons, 2009

1000 Vegan Recipes


(Can you see Gizmo's foot in this picture as well?)

Welcome to thunderdome. 1000 vegan recipes, all in one book. I don't know if there is a larger vegan cookbook out there? You've read how much I loved Vegan Planet, so this book was always going to be mine. I ordered it off the Book Depository, and was so excited when it came. The book is a hardcover, and what you see above is the book in its nifty little dust jacket. This looks odd to me, because I use the book so often that I don't keep the jacket on it. In fact, I have been through this book so many times that parts of the binding have come away - I love that!

Some people find this book intimidating... so many recipes, where to even start? Don't be intimidated, just jump on it. You have to start somewhere, so pick something that catches your fancy and you will be on your way. I am hoping to one day make all 1000 of the recipes, so far I have made just over 25% of them.

The book is divided into an Introduction (including much of the usual about vegan diets), the recipe chapters, an index of fast recipes, menus (yay!), resources, recommended reading and an appendix. There are so many sections for each chapter, I thought I'd list in dot points to give you a better idea of the book.

*Appetizers and Snacks: Snacks, Dips and Spreads, Cold Appetizers, Hot Appetizers
*Salads: Leafy Green Salads, Vegetable Salads, Potato Salads and Slaws, Bean, Grain and Pasta Salads, Fruit Salads, Salad Dressings
*Sandwiches, Pizza, and More: Sandwiches and Wraps, Burgers, Fajitas and Burritos, Pizzas, Calzonies, Strombole, and Turnovers,
*Soups: Vegetable Broths, Clear Broth Soups, Hearty Soups, Creamy Soups, Cold Soups
*Pasta and Noodles: Pasta and Noodles, Pasta with Tomatoes, Pasta with Pesto, Pasta with Vegetables and More, Lasagne Eight Ways, Baked and Beyond, Stuffed Pasta and Dumplings, Asian Noodles
*Main Dishes: Beans, Grains, Tofu and Tempeh, Seitan, Vegetables, Stuffed Vegetables
*Vegetable Side Dishes
*Breads: Yeast Breads, Quick Breads, Biscuits, Muffins, and Scones, Flat Breads, Crakers
*Desserts: Cookies, Brownies and little Bites, Cakes and Cheesecakes, Pies, Tarts, Crisps and Cobblers, Puddings and Parfaits, Fruit Desserts, Nice Creams, Sorbets and Granitas, Dessert Sauces and Frostings
*Breakfast and Brunch: Breakfast Casserole, Frittatas, and More, Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast, Cereals, Breakfast Sides
*Sauces, Relishes, and Condiments: Brown Sauces, Tomato-Based Sauces, Other Savoury Sauces, No-Cook Sauces, Chutneys, Pestos, Salsas, Condiments and Relishes, Marinades and Rubs

So, I have posted about a zillion photos already from this book. What I will do here is show photos of five star recipes I haven't posted before. I will have a list of all my other five star recipes below as well. Remember, five stars just means my absolute favourites, there are many excellent recipes in this book. My four star rating means still very good!

Smoky Chipotle-Pinto Hummus

Smoky Chipotle-Pinto Hummus

This is a delicious, smoky bean dip. Is perfect with tortilla chips. It would also be great on nachos with some guacamole and sour cream.

Cheezy Cashew-Roasted Red Pepper Toasts

Cheezy Cashew-Roasted Red Pepper Toasts

I made this the other day for an event I was having (will post more on that after MoFo) and it was the hit of the show! I know what you are thinking... Susan used capsicum? Well, yes... occasionally I enjoy roasting it and blending it up into other things. It doesn't taste bad then and it doesn't hurt my stomach. This spread is OUTSTANDING! A trillion stars! I took the cheater route here and found some cute vegan mini melba toasts to serve with it instead of making toast shapes. MAKE THIS! (Left over spread is also great stirred through quinoa with some broccoli and tofu!)

Indonesian-Style Potato Salad

Indonesian-Style Potato Salad

Two of my favourite things - potatoes and peanut sauce. Yum!

Summer Berries with Fresh Mint

Summer Berries with Fresh Mint

This is very sweet and refreshing. Cherries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries in a tangy, minty dressing.

Creamy Tahini Dressing


Creamy Tahini Dressing
Creamy Tahini Dressing in best salad ever

This is a great dressing, very thick and delicious. And also used to make the Best. Salad. Ever. Quinoa, baby spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, olives, roasted cauliflowers and smoked tofu chunks all mixed up with this.

Beans Bourguingnon

Beans Bourguignon

This is great with crusty bread rolls.

Country-Fried Tofu with Golden Gravy

Country-Fried Tofu with Golden Gravy

I made this one cold winter's night when comfort food was in order. The gravy here is delicious! I only 'country-fried' some of the tofu, the rest I pan-fried.

"Ka-Pow" Tofu

"Ka-Pow" Tofu

This recipe makes use of Nothin' Fishy Nam Pla, another recipe in 1000 Vegan Recipes. The Thai basil is beautiful here. Use carrots instead of capsicum, and serve over rice with greens.

Creole Tempeh

Creole Tempeh

This simple sauce is delicious. Served with rice and greens.

Seitan Pot Roast

Seitan Pot Roast

I made this one Sunday, and I felt so domestic putting a beautiful pot roast on the table! I reduced the cooking liquid afterwards to make a delicious sauce. The prepared horseradish on the side is great too. I served this with Baby Spinach with Lemon and Garlic, also from the book.

Seitan and Broccoli Shiitake Stir-Fry

Seitan and Broccoli-Shiitake Stir-Fry

This is a really simple stir-fry, but it is amazeballs.

Seitan Noodle Casserole

Seitan Noodle Casserole

So yummy. I cooked the pasta towards to end so it was still fresh and hot when mixed it. It bakes up beautifully.

Mango-Cashew Balls

Mango-Cashew Balls

This is one of the suggested variations on the Apricot-Walnut Balls. They are heavenly.

Orange-Coconut Cake

Orange-Coconut Cake

This beautiful cake is HUGE! 9 x 13 inches. So you may want to halve it. On the other hand, I would suggest making all of it so then you can eat more! I made this for a friend's birthday this year. The icing is a cream cheese based coconut and orange concoction. This is a version of Ambrosia cake, and Robyn mentions that she leaves off the tinned mandarin segments because she doesn't like them. I kind of do like them, in a trashy way, so they could be cute here!

Scrambled Tofu with Chiles and Salsa

Scrambled Tofu with Chiles and Salsa

A great tasting way to start the day/ The tofu scramble keeps well, so you can make up a batch and then reheat it over a few days. Avocado makes a great additions here too.

Two very special mentions need to go to these two recipes, even though I have already blogged them before.

Soy-Glazed Tofu

Soy-Glazed Tofu

You know when you need a tasty protein side but you didn't think ahead to marinate some tofu overnight? This will give you deliciously flavoured tofu in an hour. A very simple marinade is heated up and poured over the tofu slices, left for half an hour and then baked for half an hour. The marinade is simple but very yummy, and will suit any sort of cuisine. It is also great in salads or sandwiches. Just this week I took some of this chopped to work just as a snack. I have made this so many times, you will too!

Tempeh Bacon

Tempeh Bacon

Robyn makes tempeh bacon almost instant here - no need to marinade, so it is ideal when you tempeh bacon in a flash.

Here are the names of other five-star recipes that I have already blogged:
Lemony Rice-Stuffed Grape Leaves
French Onion Pastry Puffs
Chopped Salad
White Bean and Broccoli Salad with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
Puttanesca Seitan and Spinach Salad
Eight Treasure Barley Salad
Ginger Soy Vinaigrette
Cheezy Tomato Macaroni
Sesame Soba Noodles
Autumn Medley Stew
Green Tea Rice with Lemon Snow Peas and Tofu
Millet, Chard, and White Bean Casserole
Ginger-Peanut Tempeh
Rustic Cottage Pie
Sesame-Baked Vegetables
Asparagus Dijon
Creamy Cauliflower
Corn Fritters
Shiitake Snow Pea Stir-Fry
Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots
Chocolate-Rum Coffee Cake
Vegan Tiramisu
Pan-Fried Spuds
Basic Brown Sauce
Vegan Aioli
Spiced Tomato and Peach Relish
Ginger-Soy Marinade

Phew! As always, to see more photos of food I have made, you can click on the 1000 Vegan Recipes tag at the bottom of this post, or click on a photo to go to my flickr site, and click on the 1000 Vegan Recipes tag there.

Overall this is a great book! There is something for everyone in here, and it is full of great meal ideas that will keep you entertained for a long time!

(% 1000 Vegan Recipes Blogged: 17%) <- a running tally of how many recipes from this book have appeared on my blog!

There are a few other blogs dedicated to this mighty book:

My Adventures Testing 1000 Vegan Recipes
Cooking From 1000 Vegan Recipes - has not been updated for a while, but lots of good pictures and comments.

Do you have 1000 Vegan Recipes? How many recipes have you made?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Baby Susan and Mo

Another trip down memory lane. This is a baby me, showing my love for cats at an early age with my first kitty Mo.

7 comments:

  1. I kept trying to keep tabs on what I wanted to mention in my comment but everything looks really good!

    I keep seeing chipotle hummus on blogs and now I really have to try some and those little toasts are adorable and good on you for using capsicum, sometimes I can handle food I don't like (pumpkin) if it's all blended up with other foods.

    I would like a big bowl of that quinoa salad with extra tahini dressing on the side.

    Also some beans Bourguingnon and some Creole tempeh, bascailly I would like to come and stay at your place and have you cook from this book for meeeeeeee!

    And I bet you can make all the recipes in this book, I believe in you! :p

    I think the size of this book might have put me off in the past but you've convinced me I needs it, off to the Book Depository I go!

    Also, cute pic of baby Susan and Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made much from 1000 Vegan Recipes, to be honest. But the bok choy and ginger sesame udon noodles was very good!

    The Beans Bourguingnon has been on my hitlist for a while, though.. must get on that now that the temps are cooling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of instant tempeh bacon! I'm really enjoying your MoFo theme, you give a really flavour of all these books and I love the picture of you and your first cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your MoFo theme & now I have another cookbook to add to my wish list! The cashew-red pepper toasts look like perfect party food and I need that peanutty potato salad in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake should be in mah belleh!

    I need to get more of Robin's books - I only have a couple and they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought I wanted/needed this book, but now I think I do.. Arggggh! I find her a little hit or miss, though, so I'm a tad nervous about it. It all looks great though, and the idea of a 9 x 13 cake is my kind of thing!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1000VR is my go to book when I have something in the fridge I need to use up, the index in the back is massive!
    I can't remember what it's called but I love the coffee cake with the cinnamon swirl in it, soo freakin' good!

    ReplyDelete