Friday 8 April 2011

Recipe Round Up: 1000 Vegan Recipes

It's cold and raining today. Sure, by cold I mean 23 degrees Celcius, but it is all relative to where you live and what your cold tolerance is. I am also getting over some sort of icky virus that has left me achy and tired for the last four days. In honour of this, I present soup. Some of this soup I made to take to work for lunches on cold days, some of these soups I made for lunches on nippy days at home, and others were some dinner soups. Let's out on our comfy pants and cardigans, snuggle up, and take a peep.


Summer Vegetable Soup (pg 149).
Leeks, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, corn, spinach and basil. Quick, easy and fresh.


Lemony Lentil and Rice Soup (pg 164).
I love lentil soups, and this was a good wintery soup to warm your soul. Or your tummy on a cold day. It isn't really all that lemony though, I was looking forward to the lemon flavour, so next time I would add more lemon juice.


Black Bean and Corn Soup (pg 160).
Three tins of black beans go into this baby. It was a good soup, though nothing really pushes it above the other black bean soups out there. But it is pretty easy to make, and will certainly give you a pleasant lunch to look forward to.


Mulligatawny Soup (pg 155).
This soup was a bit sweet for my tastes. It has coconut milk and green apple in it, as well as lentils and curry flavours, of course. I would have this soup in small doses as a starter rather than a large bowl for a main meal.


Corn and Potato Chowder (pg 165).
Can I just say, black pepper and lots of it, will make this already delightful soup into something amazing.


Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup with Baby Spinach (pg 158).
This is a sweet and peanutty soup, delicious. It is too rich and not filling enough for a main meal, but for a small bowl to kick off the meal it is amazing. Or serve small amounts over hot white rice... too good.


Versatile Vegetable Soup (pg 148).
This is a pretty solid soup - vegetables and chickpeas - you just need to be careful not to over cook it, or everything gets a little... cabbagy. It is versatile because you can change up the vegetables and beans depending on what you have around.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post


GIZMO FACE!

(%1000 Vegan Recipes Blogged: 12%)

2 comments:

  1. It's starting to get cold and blowy here, too. I'll use your soup inspiration when cooking dinner for the next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your icky virus is totally gone by now. That's no fun. But soup always does help! The Corn and Potato Chowder looks really yummy. I must be in a white foods mood today.

    Aww, Gizmo! <3

    ReplyDelete