Wednesday 6 May 2009

Menu: A Spicy Autumn Feast from The Vegan Gourmet

An UK-free post. And believe me, do I have a HUGE backlog of fun and games to be posting. This menu, A Spicy Autumn Feast, came from the book The Vegan Gourmet.



The first component of this night's delightful menu was Spicy Black-Eyed Peas and Rice. I cheated because I felt like it an I cooked the brown rice in our rice cooker, I just threw in the bay leaf and salt needed at the beginning of the cooking time. I also made slightly less rice than required, because I could tell it would make too much for us. When I was sauteeing, I made sure to add in lots of black pepper, just like a Southern cook would apparently typically do. I really liked this for a combination. It was tasty and really satisfying.



The real star of the show, though, was the fabulous stew! Potato, Zucchini and Olive Stew with Garlic, Jalapenos and Rice. NOM! It was really, really yummy. Especially with the olives in there. Just fabulous for a cool night!



Here they are together, served with a side of baby spinach dressed with orange-cumin vinaigrette as suggested. I used the orange-cumin recipe from The Complete Vegan Cookbook, which was the first cookbook by these people. All up this was a great menu and I really enjoyed it. It was really filling and I would certainly suggest anyone with the book try it out!

5 comments:

  1. ooh that rice dish looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I am loving the look of that stew! Especially as I sit here in the freezing cold!

    And don't worry about rice cooker cheating. I am the queen of rice cooker risotto ;) (Hate all that stirring!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    The rice looks delicious. I never had olives in stew before. Looks great and thanks for the idea!

    I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Vegan Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete