Sunday 7 December 2008

A Tale Of Two BBQs.

Alas my friends, this is an almost photo free post because the battery on my camera died. Woe! Doom! Despair! Agony!

So today I attended not one but *two* BBQs - breakfast and lunch. That would bring my grand total of BBQs attended this year to... ummm.... two! Anyway, I turned up and showed how much vegans totally rock.

The first BBQ was the annual extended family breakfast BBQ. It was held at my cousin's house out at Chappel Hill, and her balconies overlook beautiful views of bushland. It was a good morning, with lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. Though there seem to be a disturbingly large number of children now popping up at these family events. I'm sticking with the cats, thanks! Thankfully the kids kept themselves occupied with TV and the swing set. I don't really do children.

For my vegan breakfast, I enjoyed rolls with tempeh bacon (using again the marinade from Vegan Vittles) and fresh tomato, stone fruit salad with vanilla soy yoghurt and Applesauce And Oat Bran Muffins from Veganomicon.



And here is the one photo for the post. It is one of the muffins, with Nuttelex and raspberry jam. After this, my battery decided it was all too much, so you'll have to imagine.

Let me say, I was stuffed full after this breakfast! It was great. There was a lot of interest in the tempeh bacon, and a couple of people even ventured to try it and really liked it! Alas, my brother was not one of those people. It turns out he cannot stand the texture of tempeh. Give me time and I'll change that - hee.

Me and my full belly then waddled home to pick up the food for the next BBQ, which was my work's Christmas party. It was held at a bowls club, so some barefoot bowls insanity was enjoyed. I took along some of the vegan sausages of awesome and the Lighten Up Macaroni Salad from Vegan Planet that I made on Thursday. I fried up my sausages on alfoil on the BBQ before the meat fest began. There was a lot of interest in the sausages. Next time I shall tape the ingredients on my forehead because I repeated them so often!

I also took Rum Truffles from The Vegan Cookbook. These are amazing. And are not stingy on the rum. Especially because I always add a few extra splashes to make the flavour better. And all that rum is in no way cooked out of it. They were quite popular! Tee hee. I'll be making these again closer to Christmas, so I promise I shall have photos of them then.

Now I am at home. My belly was very full. I enjoyed a cup of peppermint tea from the beautiful T2 teabags my secret santa got me (I drink a lot of peppermint tea at home and at work), then I had some salad and some fries. And the left over rum truffles. And now I am going to bed!

A great day of BBQs. Looking at the meatfest that the omnis were eating, all I can say is that I am really glad to be vegan. We rock!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an excellent day even if you were surrounded by bbqing meat-eaters! I hate that the smell of bbqs seems to hang off you if you're around them, yuck!

    And speaking of Secret Santas I am going to get mine person from the vet the Now Vegan! cookbook, as he's vegetarian but should really Go Vegan! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do rock! YAY for omnis liking your tempeh bacon!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for vegans!!! Tempeh bacon is much better than regular bacon any old day.

    I'm adding you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete